Here is the procedure to configure Brother 4100e fax machines to work with faxing over VoIP.
Enter Maintenance Mode:
1. Unplug power from rear of fax machine, hold the Menu button while plugging power back in. Continue to hold the Menu button until “Maintenance” appears in the LCD window.
2. There are no helps for the Maintenance mode. Follow parameter change procedures to the letter.
Changing Baud Rate from Automatic to 9600:
1. Enter 10 (one, zero). This will bring up WSW00 on the LCD window.
2. Change the 00 to 19. If the baud rate is set to automatic, the numbers that appear will be 11100010.
3. Change the 11100010 to 01100010. This sets the baud rate to 9600.
4. Press the “Set” button just below the LCD window.
5. Press “Stop”.
6. Enter 99. This will exit Maintenance mode and make the fax ready to use again.
Changing the Error Correction Mode (ECM):
1. Enter Maintenance Mode (see directions above).
2. Enter 10. This will bring up WSW00 on the LCD window.
3. Change the 00 to 22. If the ECM is turned on, the numbers that appear will be 00000000.
4. Change the 00000000 to 11000000. This turns of ECM.
5. Press the “Set” button just below the LCD window.
6. Press “Stop”.
7. Enter 99. This will exit Maintenance mode and make the fax ready to use again.